Clinical efficacy of the new dental gel based on dihydroquercetin in the treatment of patients with inflammatory periodontal diseases
Grudyanov А.I.1, http://orcid.org/0000-000-3818-9307,
Fomenco E.V.1, http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4747-8039,
Lepikhova A.A.1, http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9679-1828,
Prikuls V.F.2, http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3489-7760
1 National medical research center for dentistry and maxillofacial surgery,
2 MONIKI of M.F. Vladimirsky, Moscow/
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
On the basis of periodontal indices, the anti-plaque and anti-inflammatory effect of the gel composition of the new domestic drug, the main active ingredient of which is dihydroquercetin contained in the bark of Siberian larch, which has an antioxidant and antihypoxant effect, was studied. From practically healthy patients aged 18 to 40 years with inflammatory changes in the marginal periodontium (with chronic catarrhal gingivitis and mild periodontitis) without serious concomitant diseases, 2 groups were formed — control (group “A”) and experience (group “B”), 30 people in each group. Patients were not separated by gender. At the first stage, patients were taught the rules of brushing their teeth and hygienic care of the oral cavity using demonstration phantoms. Then, after antiseptic treatment of the marginal periodontium and application anesthesia, dental deposits were removed for patients of both groups. At this point, treatment intervention for patients in the control group (Group B) was limited. Patients of group A were additionally prescribed applications of a therapeutic gel. Patients applied the drug to the gums previously dried with a cotton swab from the outer and inner surfaces on their own with a frequency of 3 times a day after demonstrating the rules for the procedure and monitoring by the specialist the correctness of its implementation by the patients themselves.
The clinical condition of the soft tissues in patients of both groups was monitored before the start of treatment, after 3, 7 and 14 days based on a number of indices: Silness-Loe, PMA and Mulleman).
The Muhleman Index values in patients before treatment in both groups were 2.4±0.5 and 2.3±0.5 c.u. (conventional unit)., respectively. In subsequent terms, after 3, 7 and 14 days, the index values progressively decreased. 3 days after the removal of dental deposits, the index values significantly decreased: to 1.7±0.5 c.u. in the first and up to 1.9±0.6 c.u. in the second (p<0.05) group of patients. After 7 days, the bleeding index progressively decreased also in both groups, but less intensively. Moreover, the index in patients in group A was 1.1±0.4 and in patients in group B 1.5±0.5 and 0.5±0.1 c.u. Most clearly, the difference in the effect manifested itself on the 14-th day: 0.5±0.3 units. in patients of group A and 1±0.5 c.u. in patients in group B (in all cases p<0,05). The dynamics of the RMA inflammation index turned out to be very comparable with the dynamics of the Muhleman index in patients of both groups.
The initial training in the rules of brushing the teeth made it possible to achieve an ideal cleansing of the oral cavity in both groups of patients, and the achieved effect was maintained throughout the study period. This confirmed the decrease in the Silness-Loe plaque index to almost zero, despite the fact that before the start of the study its values were the same and reached almost the maximum value: 2,4 c.u. in patients. of both groups. Characteristically, after 3 days, the index value in patients in both groups decreased almost identically to a value of 0.8 c.u., and after 7 and 14 days — almost to zero.
This fact allowed us to attribute the achieved anti-inflammatory effect not due to more thorough brushing of teeth during the experiment, but precisely due to the therapeutic effect of the applied gel.
The presented numerical data of clinical indicators were confirmed by the results of statistical processing using the Student’s method with the determination of the reliability criterion.
Examination and questioning of patients made it possible to establish the absence of negative clinical and organoleptic sensations from the use of the gel in patients of both groups.
The data obtained made it possible to establish a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect of the therapeutic gel “Flamena stom.” and to recommend the gel for use in wide clinical practice as part of the complex treatment of patients with inflammatory periodontal diseases.
Keywords: chronic catarrhal gingivitis, periodontitis, dihydroquercetin, Flamena therapeutic gel.
For citation: Grudyanov А.I., Fomenco E.V., Lepikhova A.A., Prikuls V.F. Clinical efficacy of the new dental gel “Flamena stom.” in the treatment of patients with inflammatory periodontal diseases. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2022, no.3(100): 46-52 (In Russian). doi: 10.35556/idr-2022-3(100)46-52
1. Haidar D.A., Grabatov A.N., Tarasova T.V., Mo-sina L.M.,Boynova I.V., Tyurina E.P., Korovyakova E.A., Pashin S.S. Activity of the antioxidant protection system in periodontitis. MNIZH. 2022, no.3-1(117) (In Russian).
2. Kizim A.N., Shumsky A.V., Pavlova O.N., Gulenko O.N., Maslyakov V.V. Integral assessment of oxidative homeostasis of the oral cavity in periimplantitis. MNIZH. 2022, no.1-2(115) (In Russian).
3. Kontorshchikova K.N., Kazarina L.N., Gulyan U.G., etc. Monitoring of biochemical parameters of oral fluid in patients with precancerous diseases of the oral mucosa using orthopedic structures. Clinical laboratory diagnostics. 2022, no.1(67): 19—23 (In Russian).
4. Akhadova P.D. Dental status and changes in the levels of secondary antioxidants in the oral fluid in the pathology of the oral mucosa in patients with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract in the dynamics of treatment. Biomedicine (Baku). 2020, no.1 (In Russian).
5. Edilbiev Z.V., Malkarukova A.A., Edilbieva L.V., Fedorov A.A., Gusov R.M., Mallaeva R.M. Effectiveness of complex application of therapeutic physical factors and rational pharmacotherapy in elderly patients with chronic generalized periodontitis. Modern issues of biomedicine. 2021, no.1(14) (In Russian).
6. Udyanskaya I.L., Slonskaya T.K., Yankova V.G., etc. Toothpastes of the “MEXIDOL dent” line as parapharmaceuticals with stable antioxidant activity. Dentistry. 2020, no.2(99): 45—49 (In Russian).
7. Vafoeva Sh.Sh., Rakhmatova D.B., Karomatov I.D. Prospects for the use of turmeric in dentistry. Biology and integrative medicine. 2022, no.2(55) (In Russian).
8. Karomatov I.D., Fayzullayeva F.U. Prospects for the use of propolis in dentistry — a review of the literature. Biology and integrative medicine. 2020, no.3(43) (In Russian).