Problems of dental health of athletes. Literary review
Ashuev Zh.A., Ushakov R.V., Korkin V.V., Bagramyan S.M., Khromenkova K.V.
Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Further Professional Education “Russian Medical Academy of Continuous Professional Education” of the Ministry of Healthcare of the Russian Federation
Russia, 123242, Moscow, Barrikadnaya St., 2/1
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
In the article are considered endogenous and exogenous factors of the development of oral pathology in athletes based on the literature data. The issues of the influence of moderate and intense physical exertion on the general condition of the body and the degree of development of diseases of the oral cavity are discussed. The data on sports with the highest prevalence of diseases of the oral cavity are presented. The role of sports mouthguards and other intraoral devices to protect the tissues of the maxillofacial region from sports injuries, the effect of intensive physical exercises during training and at different stages of competitions on susceptibility to specific pathologies is discussed.
Recommendations on the content of sports examination protocols are given.
Keywords: sports dentistry, physical activity, dental health, protocols of sports examination.
For citation: Ashuev Zh.A., Ushakov R.V., Korkin V.V., Bagramyan S.M., Khromenkova K.V. Problems of dental health of athletes. Literary review. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2022, №2(99): 39-45 (In Russian). doi: 10.35556/idr-2022-2(99)39-45
1. Kerr L. Dental problems in athletes. Clin Sports Med. 1983, Mar, 2(1): 115—122. PMID: 6138163.
2. Esfandiari A., Broshek D.K., Freeman J.R. Psychi-atric and neuropsychological issues in sports medicine. Clin Sports Med. 2011, Jul, 30(3): 611—627. doi: 10.1016/j.csm.2011.03.002. PMID: 21658551.
3. White J.A., Beltran E.D., Malvitz D.M., Perlman S.P. Oral health status of special athletes in the San Francisco Bay Area I. J. Calif. Dent. Assoc. 1998, 26(5): 347—354.
4. Harish N. Cardiovaseular Sereening with Elecrocardiography and Echocardiography in Collegiate Athletes. Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2011, 41(3): 340—340.
5. Reid B.C., Macek M.D. Prevalence and predictors of untreated caries and oral pain among Special Olympic athletes. Spec Care Dentist. 2003, 23(4): 139.
6. O. Kennedy R. The immune system in sport: getting the balance right. Br. J. Sports. Med. 2000, 34(3): 161.
7. Franco E., Saunders C.P., Roberts G.J., Suwanprasit A. Dental disease, sagies relatod microflora and salivary LGA of chikren with severe congenital cardiac disease: an epidemiological and oral microbial survey. Pediatr. Dent. 1996, 18(3): 228—235.
8. Ertan A., Erun A., Demiralp B., Muhtarogullari M. Non-surgical treatment of sports-related temporomandibular joint disorders in basketball players. Dent Traumatol. 2004, 20(6): 338—343.
9. De Sant’Anna G.R., Simionato M.R., Suziki M.E. Sports dentistry: buccal and salivary profile of a female soccer team. Quintessence Int. 2004, 35(8): 649—652.
10. Merchant A.T., Pitiphat W., Rimm E.B., Joshiriga K. Inereased physical activity decreases periodontitis risk in men. J. Epidermiol. 2003, 18(9): 891—898.
11. Needleman I., Ashley P., Petrie A., Fortune F., Turner W., Jones J., Niggli J., Engebretsen L., Budgett R., Donos N., Clough T., Porter S. Oral health and impact on performance of athletes participating in the London 2012 Olympic Games: a cross-sectional study. Br. J. Sports Med. 2013, 47(16): 1054—1058.
12. Taymazov V.A., Tsygan V.N., Mokeeva V.N. Sport and immunity. Saint Petersburg: Olymp SPb, 2003, 200 p. (In Russian).
13. Sergeeva E.A. The state of some functional systems of the body of athletes with inflammatory periodontal diseases in dynamics (In Russian).
14. Reid B.S., Masek M.D. Prevention and predictors of untreated caries and oral pain among Special Olympic athletes. Spec Care Dentist. 2003, 23(4): 139—142.
15. Makarova G.A. Sports medicine. Textbook. Moscow: Sov. Sport, 2003, 480 p. (In Russian)
16. Kabulbekov A.A., Dzhumadillaev D.N., Demina T.V. Macro- and microelements in cariesogenic nutrition and physical exertion. Dentistry. 1988, no.4: 10—12 (In Russian).
17. Kajayan V.S. Dental diseases in athletes. Theory and practice of physical culture. 1977, no. 3: 38—39 (In Russian).
18. Lesnykh Yu.V. The state of the oral cavity in athletes. Materials of the XIV All-Union Conference on Sports Medicine “Actual problems of sports medicine”. Moscow, 1990: 176—181 (In Russian).
19. Ngapeth-Eloundi M. Eude clinique des complications infectieuses dentaires et meridentaires observees a I’Hopital Central de Yaonde propos de 161 cac /Ngapeth- Eloundi M., Itoua E.S., Obounou A., Aragon Alma J. I/odontostomatol Trop. 2001, 24(93): 5—10.
20. Lakier Smith L. Overtraining. excessive exereise, and altered immunity: is this AT helper-I versus T helper-2 lymphocyte response? Sports. Med. 2003, 33(5): 347—364.
21. Venkatraman J.T., Rendergast D.R. Effect of die-tary intake on immune function in athletes. Sports. Med. 2002, 32(5): 323—337.
22. Dmitrieva L.A. Periodontal diseases. Therapeutic dentistry. Textbook (Edited by L.A. Dmitrieva). Moscow: Medpress-inform., 2003: 531—636 (In Russian).
23. Ratnitsyna I.L. Clinical and immunological substantiation of the diagnosis and prevention of periodontal diseases in athletes in conditions of intensive training: dis. … candidate of medical Sciences. Saint. Petersburg, 1997, 15 p. (In Russian).
24. Regssop G.R., Persson R.E. Cardiovascular dis-ease and periodontitis: an update on the associations and risk. J Clin Periodontol. 2008 Sep, 35(8): 362—379.
25. Bolhuis J.H. Preventie van dentaal trauma. Ned. Tijdschr. Tandheelkd. 1999, 106(5): 165—168.
26. Angeli F., Verdecchia P., Pelegrino C. et al. Asso-ciation between periodlontal disease and left ventricle mass in essential hypertension. Hypertension. 2003, 41(3): 488—492.
27. Avdeeva M.G., Shubich M.G. Pathogenetic mechanisms of initiation of systemic inflammatory response syndrome (literature review). Clinical laboratory diagnostics. 2003, no.6: 3—10 (In Russian).
28. Gleeson M., Bishop N.C., Stensel D.J., Lindley M.R., Mastana S.S., Nimmo M.A. The anti-inflammatory effects of exercise: mechanisms and implications for the prevention and treatment of disease. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 2011, 11(9): 607—615.
29. Antonova I.N., Rozanov H.H., Sofonov B.N., Kositskaya L.S. Chronic stress in athletes, periodontal diseases and restructuring in the immune system. Medical immunology. 2007, 9(2, 3): 29—295 (In Russian).
30. Pshennikova M.G. The phenomenon of stress, emotional stress and its role in pathology. Pathol. physiology and experim. therapy. 2011, no.2: 26—30 (In Russian).
31. Karpovich D.I., Smolensky A.V., Mikhailova A.B. Dental morbidity of athletes, modern views text. Bulletin of New medical technologies. 2012, 19(2): 55—57 (In Russian).
32. Perova E.G., Levenets A.A. The nature of dental anomalies and deformities in children with different conditions of the musculoskeletal system. Institute of Dentistry. 2010, no.1(46): 74—75 (In Russian).
33. Sevbitov A.V., Achkasov A.V., Kanukoeva A.V., Borisov A.V., Sultanova O.A. Individual protective dental splints for athletes taking part in contact sports. Sports medicine: science and practice. 2014, no.2: 42—46 (In Russian).
34. Gasymova Z.V. The relationship of maxillary-facial anomalies with oral breathing, impaired posture and methods of complex treatment. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2003, no.1: 22—25 (In Russian).
35. Nojima K., Yokose T., Ishii T. Tooth Axis and Skeletal Structures in Mandibular Molar Vertical Sections in Jaw Deformity with Facial Asymmetry using MPR Im-ages. Bull Tokyo Dent Coll. 2008, 48(4): 171—176.
36. Straub A.M., Grahame R., Scully C. Severe periodontitis in Marfan’s syndrome: a case report. J. Periodontol. 2002, 73(7): 823—856.
37. Oleinik E.A. The main dental diseases and dental-maxillary anomalies (features of pathogenesis, diagnosis, clinic and prevention): autoref. dis. … doctor of medical sciences. Voronezh, 2008, 69 p. (In Russian).
38. D’Ercole S.; Tieri, M.; Martinelli, D.; Tripodi, D. The effect of swimming on oral health status: Competitive versus non-competitive athletes. J. Appl. Oral Sci. 2016, 24: 107—113.
39. Samaranayake L., Matsubara V.H. Normal oral flora and the oral ecosystem. Dent. Clin. N. Am. 2017, 61: 199—215.
40. Amerongen A.V., Veerman E.C. Saliva — the de-fender of the oral cavity. Oral Dis. 2002, 8: 12—22.
41. Tanabe-Ikegawa M., Takahashi T., Churei H., Mitsuyama, A., Ueno T. Interactive effect of dehydration with diluted sports drink and water gargling on salivary flow, pH, and buffering capacity during ergometer exer-cise in young adult volunteers. J. Oral Sci. 2018, 60: 269—277.
42. Yanushevich O.O., Kuzmina E.M. Diseases of the oral mucosa and periodontal. Teeth ca-ries. Results of the II National Epidemiological dental examination of the population of Russia (according to WHO criteria). Moscow, 2009, 96 p. (In Russian).
43. Tsarev V.N. Microbiology, virology and immunology of the oral cavity. Moscow: GEOTARMedia, 2013, 576 p. (In Russian).