Evaluation of the effectiveness of orthopedic treatment with fixed prostheses made using digital and traditional technologies
Vokulova Yu.A., National Research Lobachevsky State University of Nizhny Novgorod
Russia, 603022, Nizhny Novgorod, Av. Gagarin, 23
Zhulev E.N., Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Education «Privolzhsky Research Medical University»
Russia, 603005, Nizhny Novgorod, Sq. Minin and Pozharsky, 10/1
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The aim of the study was to conduct a clinical assessment of the effectiveness of orthopedic treatment with fixed prostheses made using digital and traditional technologies. The clinical study involved 103 patients (52 men and 51 women) aged from 29 to 70 years. The patients were divided into two groups. The first group consists of 54 patients (28 men and 26 women) aged from 29 to 70 years, whose orthopedic treatment was carried out with non-removable metal-ceramic prostheses made using digital technologies. The second group consists of 49 patients (24 men and 25 women) aged 33 to 70 years, whose orthopedic treatment was carried out with non-removable metal-ceramic prostheses made using traditional technologies. The evaluation of the results of orthopedic treatment was carried out 1 year after the reinforcement of the prostheses with cement based on the criteria of the modified USPHS test for the clinical assessment of the condition of non-removable prostheses. The results obtained allow us to conclude that the technologies of intraoral laser scanning, computer modeling and automated production, in comparison with traditional technology, allow us to obtain fixed orthopedic structures with a shorter period of getting used to the prosthesis, better edge fit quality, preventing the development of secondary caries, and prevent the cementation of prostheses (p<0,005).
Keywords: digital technologies in dentistry, digital impressions, intraoral scanner, 3D printing, ExoCAD.
For citation: Vokulova Yu.A., Zhulev E.N. Evaluation of the effectiveness of orthopedic treatment with fixed prostheses made using digital and traditional technologies. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2022, no.2(99): 4-8 (In Russian). doi: 10.35556/idr-2022-2(99)4-8
1. Zhulev E.N., Arhangel’skaya E.A. Method for evaluating the condition of periodontal tissues. Patent RU № 2722445, effective from 01.06.2020.
2. Zhulev E.N., Vokulova Y.A. Study of the quality of the marginal gap of artificial crown frames made using traditional and digital technologies. Aspirantskiy Vestnik Povolzhiya. 2020, no.1—2: 85—90. https://doi.org/10.17816/2072-2354.2020.20.1.85-90 (In Russian)
3. Karyakin N.N., Gorbatov R.O. 3D printing in medicine. Moscow: GEOTAR-Media, 2019: 194—221 (In Russian).
4. Rozenshtil S.F., Lend M.R., Fudzhimoto Y.U. Orthopedic treatment with fixed prostheses (Translated from English, Prof. I.Yu. Lebedenko, Ed,). Moscow: Reed Elsevier, 2010: 395—429 (In Russian).
5. Ryahovskij A.N. Digital dentistry. Moscow: Avantis LLC, 2010: 106—112. (In Russian).
6. Shustova V.A., Shustov M.A. Application of 3D technologies in orthopedic dentistry. Saint Petersburg: Spetslit, 2016: 8—44. (In Russian).
7. Boeckler A.F., Lee H., Psoch A., Setz J.M. Prospective observation of CAD/CAM titanium ceramic single crowns: a three-year follow up. J Prosthet Dent. 2009, 102(5): 290—297. doi: 10.1016/S0022-3913(09)60176-1
8. Boeckler A.F., Lee H., Psoch A., Setz J.M. Prospective observation of CAD/CAM titanium-ceramic-fixed partial dentures: 3-year follow-up. J Prosthodont. 2010, 19(8): 592—597. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-849X.2010.00638.x
9. Gurel K., Toksavul S., Toman M. In vitro marginal and internal adaptation of metal-ceramic crowns with cobalt-chrome and titanium framework fabricated with CAD/CAM and casting technique. Niger J Clin Pract. 2019, .22, 5: 812—816. doi: 10.4103/njcp.njcp_570_18
10. Hey J., Beuer F., Bensel T., Boeckler A.F. Metal-ceramic-fixed dental prosthesis with CAD/CAM-fabricated substructures: 6-year clinical results. Clin Oral Investig. 2013, 17(5): 1447—1151. doi: 10.1007/s00784-012-0851-9
11. Hey J., Beuer F., Bensel T., Boeckler A.F. Single crowns with CAD/CAM-fabricated copings from titanium: 6-year clinical results. J Prosthet Dent. 2014, 112(2): 150—154. doi: 10.1016/j.prosdent.2013.09.031