On the issue of hygienic maintenance of post-resection maxillary obturator prostheses (literature review)
Galonsky V.G.1, orcid.org/0000-0002-4795-1722,
Kostritsky I.Yu.2, orcid.org/0000-0002-6062-5155,
Surdo E.S.1, orcid.org/0000-0003-2070-936X,
Mokrenko E.V.2, orcid.org/0000-0002-4286-3993
¹ Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Education «Prof. V.F. Voino-Yasenetsky Krasnoyarsk State Medical University» of the Ministry of Healthcare of the Russian Federation
Russia, 660036, Krasnoyarsk, St. Partizana Zheleznyaka, 1
² Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Education “Irkutsk State Medical University” of the Ministry of Healthcare of the Russian Federation
Russia, 664003, Irkutsk, Krasnogo Vosstaniya St., 1
E-mail address: email@example.com
Based on literature data, this article reviews a range of problems associated with hygienic care after obturation prostheses and the oral cavity after combined treatment of malignant neoplasms. At the present time, replacing prosthetic care after maxillary resection due to malignant neoplasms using obturator prostheses is the main method for rehabilitation of oncological patients. Such methods as dental prosthetic care based on dental implants and removable dentures for elimination of partial and complete edentulism is impossible in such conditions. A defect in the maxilla, an oronasal fistula, post-operative and post-radiation jaw contracture as well as hyposalivation, impair the hygiene of the oral cavity. Acrylic plastics used for production of obturator prostheses have such substantial flaws leading to development of inflammation and progression of atrophy in the supporting tissues of the basal seat. This reduces short-term and long-term efficacy of orthopaedic dental rehabilitation procedures after replacing dental prosthetics. A conclusion has been drawn on the necessity of development and practical introduction of a special complex of dental hygienic procedures — professional and individual — adapted for oncological patients that would be implemented within the framework of dynamic dispensary observation in the setting of a dental polyclinic.
Keywords: maxillary resection, maxillary defect, replacement prosthetics, obturator prosthesis, oral hygiene.
For citation: Galonsky V.G., Kostritsky I.Yu., Surdo E.S., Mokrenko E.V. On the issue of hygienic maintenance of post-resection maxillary obturator prostheses. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2022, no.2(99): 54-59 (In Russian). doi: 10.35556/idr-2022-2(98)54-59
1. Avanesov A.M., Gvozdikova E.N., Nguyen G.H., Golub S.V., Kandakova E.Yu., Khaydar D.A. Assessment of the level of individual oral hygiene before and after radiation treatment against the background of local treatment of mucositis. Vestnik of the russian scientific center of roentgenoradiology. 2020, 20(4): 20—38 (In Russian).
2. Arutyunov A.S., Tzarev V.N., Kravtsov D.V., Komov E.V. Omparative analysis of adhesion of microbial flora from the oral cavity to the base materials for polyurethane and acryl-based jaw prostheses. Russian journal of dentistry. 2011, no.1: 19—23 (In Russian).
3. Arutyunov S.D., Pertsov S.S., Muslov S.A. Shanidze Z.L., Stepanov A.G. Analysis of the hygienic condition of maxillary prosthesis-ovturators and analysis program for android tablet. International journal of applied and fundamental research. 2017, no.9: 55—59 (In Russian).
4. Arutyunov S.D., Shanidze Z.L., Arutyunov A.S., Muslov S.A., Gvetadze R.Sh. A method for determining the hygienic state of jaw prostheses-obturators. Patent for invention № 2666266 dated 06.09.2018 (In Russian).
5. Galonsky V.G., Radkevich A.A. Tooth-maxillofacial orthopedics of maxillary defects with the use of materials with form memory. Siberian medical journal. 2007, no.8 (75): 34—37 (In Russian).
6. Galonsky V.G., Radkevich A.A. The mucous membrane of supportive tissue of prosthetic bed and its reaction to removable dental prostheses. Siberian medical journal. 2009, no.2: 18—22 (In Russian).
7. Galonsky V.G., Radkevich A.A., Kazantseva T.V. Immediate orthopedic actions after maxillary resection. Siberian medical journal. 2009, no.4: 59—62. (In Russian).
8. Galonsky V.G., Radkevich A.A., Kazantseva T.V., Kazantsev M.E., Shushakova A.A. Prevalence and intensity of teeth hard tissue after combined and radiation treatment of malignant tumors of maxillofacial part. Siberian medical journal. 2012, no.3(75): 70—75 (In Russian).
9. Galonsky V.G., Radkevich A.A., Kazantseva T.V., Kazantsev M.E., Shushakova A.A. Electroodontometry in combined therapy and radiation therapy of malignant neoplasms in maxillofacial area. Siberian medical journal. 2011, no.4(26): 90—96 (In Russian).
10. Galonsky V.G., Radkevich A.A., Kazantseva T.V., Kazantsev M.E., Maksimov S.A., Kozin V.A., Shushakova A.A. Radioepithelitis of oral mucosa in radiotherapy at cancer of maxillofacial. Siberian medical journal. 2012, no.4: 80—83 (In Russian).
11. Galonsky V.G., Radkevich A.A., Olesova V.N., Gyunter V.E. Orthopedic rehabilitation of patients with maxillary post-resection defects using shape memory materials. Russian journal of dentistry. 2008, no.5: 26—30 (In Russian).
12. Gulyaeva O.A., Averyanov S.V., Yakupov B.A. The influence of individual oral hygiene on the result of supportive therapy in the long-term after dental implantation. Dental forum. 2019, no.4(75): 30—31 (In Russian).
13. Dmitrieva E.F., Nurieva N.S. Radiation caries: clinical presentation, treatment issues. The problems of dentistry. 2014, no.2: 9—12 (In Russian).
14. Ivanov S.Yu., Tsarev V.N., Shirokov Yu.E., Solodkii V.G., Kosogovskii A.V., Chuvilkin V.I., Bol’shakov S.V., Gaiduk I.V., Pokrovskaya О.М. Effectiveness of instruments intended for individual oral hygiene assessed in patients with dental implants. Kuban scientific medical bulletin. 2007, no.1—2: 58—62 (In Russian).
15. Ilyukhina M.O., Maslennikov D.N., Proshin A.G. Hygienic status of patients using dentures with acrylic and titanium bases. Bulletin of medical internet conferences. 2013, 3(2): 353 (In Russian).
16. Karpovich E.A. Hygienic care for removable dentures made of thermoplastic materials. Bulletin of medical internet conferences. 2019, 9(7): 294 (In Russian).
17. Kulakov A.A. Dental implantation: National guide (A. A. Kulakov, Ed.). Moscow: GEOTAR-Media, 2018, 400 p. (Series “National guides”) (In Russian).
18. Lebedenko I.Yu. Orthopedic dentistry: National leadership (I.Yu. Lebedenko, S.D. Arutyunov, A.N. Ryakhovsky, Ed.). Moscow: GEOTAR-Media, 2016, 824 p. (Series “National guides”). (In Russian).
19. Mitrofanov P.V., Chizhov Yu.V., Radkevich A.A., Kazantseva T.V., Maksimov N.G., Furtsev T.V., Kiprin D.V., Sokolovich V.V. Purification and disinfection of removable dentures with an original complex of domestic reagents using ultrasonic washing machines of the Reton type: Methodological guide. KrasGMU. Krasnoyarsk: Paragraph, 2021, 76 p. (In Russian).
20. Ogorodnikov M.Yu., Tsarev V.N., Sulemova R.Kh. The clinico-microbiological characterization of the dynamics of the microbial colonization of polyurethane and acrylic plastic-based removable dental prostheses. Russian journal of dentistry. 2007, no.6: 20—22 (In Russian).
21. Olesov E.E., Khavkina E.Yu., Shaymiev N.I., Kononenko V.I., Bersanov R.U., Hubaev S.-S.Z. Assessment of the liability of patients with implants for the observance of hygiene of an oral cavity and dispensary observation of. Russian journal of dentistry. 2013, no.2: 50—52 (In Russian).
22. Paches A.I. Tumors of the head and neck: a clinical guide for physicians (5th ed., revised and supplemented). Moscow: Practical medicine, 2013, 478 p. (In Russian).
23. Pokrovskaya O.M. Ffectiveness of instruments intended for individual oral hygiene assessed in patients with dental implants. Kuban scientific medical bulletin. 2008, №1—2: 69—75 (In Russian).
24. Radkevich A.A., Galonsky V.G. A clinical case study of restorative dental prosthetics of total postresectional maxillary defect. Siberian medical journal. 2009, no.4: 121—124 (In Russian).
25. Smbatian B.S., Ramazanov R.D., Pokrovskaiya O.M. The comparative characteristic irrigators, submitted on the russian market. Parodontologiya. 2005, no.2(35): 47—49 (In Russian).
26. Utyuzh A.S., Yumashev A.V., Admakin O.I., Lushkov R.M. Use of irrigator by patients with orthopedic constructions, supported by dental implants. Clinical Dentistry (Russia). 2017, no.2(82): 47—49 (In Russian).
27. Chizhov Yu.V., Mitrofanov P.V., Kazantseva T.V., Radkevich A.A., Kiprin D.V., Sokolovich V.V. Method of cleaning and disinfecting removable dental prostheses available for elderly and senile persons. The dental institute. 2021, no.2(91): 104—107 (In Russian).
28. Alfarsi M.A., Shaik S. Oral rehabilitation of a cleft palate patient with tooth-supported, telescopic magnetic overdenture. BMJ Case Rep. 2020, no.4, 13(11): e233777. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2019-233777.
29. Rapone B., Nardi G.M., Venere D. Di et al. Oral hygiene in patients with oral cancer undergoing chemotherapy and/or radiotherapy after prosthesis rehabilitation: protocol proposal. Oral Implantol. (Rome). 2016, no.9: 90—97. doi: 10.11138/orl/2016.9.1S.090.
30. Tanaya, Dhawan P., Tandan P. et al. Time Dependent Oral Microflora Changes in Removable Partial Denture Wearers. Indian Journal of Public Health Research & Development. 2021, 12(2): 373—380. doi: https://doi.org/10.37506/ijphrd.v12i2.14161.
31. Dmitriev A.Yu., Gvetadze R.Sh., Dmitrieva N.A. Hygienic assessment of the implant-gingival joint in patients with implant-supported orthopedic appliances. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2017, no.3(80): 28—32 (In Russian).
32. Zaslavsky R.S., Ivanov A.S., Salamov M.Ya., Olesov E.E., Zaslavsky S.A. Inflammatory complications in the state of peri-implant tissues and their causes according to the results of a survey of dentists. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2021, no.3(96): 12—15 (In Russian). doi: 10.35556/idr-2021-3(96)12-15
33. Kiparisova D.G., Kiparisov Y.S., Nurieva N.S. The method of assessment of the hygienic state index in dental mini-implants and orthopedic structures fixed on them. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2017, no.1(78): 42—45 (In Russian).
34. Tiunova N.V., Tolmacheva S.M., Egorova L.I., Zhdanova M.L. Features of the professional hygiene in the clinical cases of diseases of the mucous membranes of the oral cavity. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2015, no.2(71): 19—21 (In Russian).