Rationale for the use of a novel structure device for mandible fractures fixation
Taraev A.Yu., Children’s Dental Clinic No. 63 of the Moscow Department of Health
121351, Russia, Moscow, Molodogvardeyskaya Ulitsa, 43/17
Ushakov R.V., Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Further Professional Education “Russian Medical Academy of Continuous Professional Education” of the Ministry of Healthcare of the Russian Federation
123242, Russia, Moscow, Barrikadnaya Ulitsa, 2/1
The finite element method in the Ansys Workbench system was used to solve static problems of the theory of elasticity, simulating the stress-strain state of the “bone-fixing device” systems under the action of the chewing, temporal, lateral pterygoid, and medial pterygoid muscles. The stability of each of the considered fixing devices was quantitatively assessed, the relative displacements of bone fragments, equivalent stresses in the bone and fixing devices were calculated and compared, and the contact pressure between bone fragments was investigated.
It is shown that with the considered oblique fracture and the considered loads, the fixation device of a new type provides similar stability in comparison with the 3D plate. It was revealed that the fixation device of a new type, in comparison with the 3D plate, provides a higher contact pressure and a tighter contact between fragments. Equivalent stresses in the bone structures during the installation of the new type of fixation device were found to be lower than in similar bone structures during the installation of the 3D plate.
Keywords: fracture of the mandible, fixation device, 3D plate, biomechanical modeling, equivalent stresses, fixation stability, finite element method.
For citation: Taraev A.Yu., Ushakov R.V. Rationale for the use of a novel structure device for mandible fractures fixation. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2022, no.1(98): 4-11 (In Russian). doi: 10.35556/idr-2022-1(98)4-11
1. Efimov Yu.V., Stomatov D.V., Efimova U.Yu., Telyanova Yu.V., Dolgova I.V, Stomatov A.V. Analysis of the results of using a bone suture in patients with oblique fractures of the lower jaw. Bulletin of Volgograd State Medical University. 2015.no.4(56): 60—62 (In Russian).
2. Gruss J.S., Phillips J.H. Complex facial trauma: the evolving role of rigid fixation and immediate bone graft reconstruction. Clin Plast Surg. 1989, 16(1): 93—104.
3. Lepilin A.V., Bakhteeva G.R., Nozdrachev V.G., Shikhov M.Yu., Ramazanov A.Kh. Clinical and statistical analysis of traumatic injuries of the maxillofacial region and their complications based on the facial surgery for 2008—2012. Saratov Journal of Medical Scientific Research. 2013, 9(3): 425—428 (In Russian).
4. Natu S.S., Pradhan H., Gupta H., Alam S., Gupta S., Pradhan R., Mohammad S., Kohl, M., Sinha V.P., Shankar R., Agarwal A. An epidemiological study on pattern and incidence of mandibular fractures. Plastic surgery international. 2012: 834364. https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/834364
5. Efimov Yu.V., Stomatov D.V., Efimova E.Yu., Stomatov A.V., Dolgova I.V. Treatment of patients with unilateral oblique fracture of the mandible. Medical Bulletin of the North Caucasus. 2019, 14(1.1): 94—97 (In Russian). https://doi.org/10.14300/mnnc.2019.14059
6. Malyshev V.A., Kabakov B.D. Fractures of the jaws. (2nd ed.) SPb., 2005, 224 p. (In Russian)/
7. Mirsaeva F.Z., Izosimov A.A. Optimization of complex treatment of mandibular fractures. Institute of Dentistry. Newspaper for professionals. 2010, 2: 6—7 (In Russian).
8. Berner T., Essig H., Schumann P., Blumer M., Lanzer M., Rocker M., Gander T. Closed versus open treatment of mandibular condylar process fractures: a meta-analysis of retrospective and prospective studies. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2015, 43(8): 1404—1408. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcms.2015.07.027
9. Payne K.F., Tahim A., Goodson A.M., Colbert S., Brennan P.A. A review of trauma and trauma-related papers published in the British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in 2010—2011. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2012, 50(8): 769—773. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2012.09.003
10. Joshi U., Kurakar M. Comparison of Stability of Fracture Segments in Mandible Fracture Treated with Different Designs of Mini-Plates Using FEM Analysis. J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2014, 13(3): 310—319. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12663-013-0510-y
11. Wusiman P., Yarbag A., Wurouzi G., Mijiti A., Moming A. Three dimensional versus standard miniplate fixation in management of mandibular fractures: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2016, 44(10): 1646—1654. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijom.2014.02.002
12. Al-Ahmari A., Nasr E.A., Moiduddin K., Anwar S., Al Kindi M., Kamrani A. A comparative study on the customized design of mandibular reconstruction plates using finite element method. Advances in Mechanical Engineering. 2015, 7(7): 1—11. https://doi.org/10.1177/1687814015593890
13. Liu Y.F., Fan Y.Y., Jiang X.F., Baur D.A. A customized fixation plate with novel structure designed by topological optimization for mandibular angle fracture based on finite element analysis. Biomed Eng Online. 2017, 16(1): 131. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12938-017-0422-z
14. Stokbro K., Borg S.W., Andersen M.?., Thygesen T. Patient-specific 3D printed plates improve stability of Le Fort 1 osteotomies in vitro. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2019, 47(3): 394—399. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcms.2018.12.015
15. Aquilina P., Chamoli U., Parr W.C., Clausen P.D., Wroe S. Finite element analysis of three patterns of internal fixation of fractures of the mandibular condyle. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013, 51(4): 326—331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2012.08.007
16. Vieira e Oliveira T.R., Kemmoku D.T., Lopes da Silva J.V., Noritomi P.Y., Passeri L.A. Finite element evaluation of stable fixation in combined mandibular fractures. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2017, 75(11): 2399—2410. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2017.06.021
17. Taraev A.Yu., Ushakov R.V., Krasheninnikov L.A. Device for the treatment of jaw fractures. Invention patent RU 2640015 C2, 25.12.2017. Application no. 2016150709 from 22.12.2016 (In Russian).
18. Ponvel K., Panneerselvam E., Balasubramanian S., Krishna Kumar Raja V.B. Evaluation of labial versus labio-inferior lines of osteosynthesis using 3D miniplate for fractures of anterior mandible: A finite element analysis with a pilot clinical trial. Chin J Traumatol. 2019, 22(5): 261—269. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjtee.2019.08.001
19. Vajgel A., Camargo I.B., Willmersdorf R.B., de Melo T.M., Laureano Filho J.R., Vasconcellos R.J. Comparative finite element analysis of the biomechanical stability of 2.0 fixation plates in atrophic mandibular fractures. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013, 71(2): 335—342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2012.09.019
20. Wieding J., Souffrant R., Fritsche A., Mittelmeier W., Bader R. Finite Element Analysis of Osteosynthesis Screw Fixation in the Bone Stock: An Appropriate Method for Automatic Screw Modelling. Plos one. 2012, 7(3): e33776. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0033776
21. Beskrovny A.S., Bessonov L.V., Ivanov D.V., Zolotov V.S., Sidorenko D.A., Kirillova I.V., Kossovich L.Yu. convolutional neural networks. Izvestiya of Saratov University. Mathematics. Mechanics. Informatics. 2021, 21(3): 368—378 (In Russian). https://doi.org/10.18500/1816-9791-2021-21-3-368-378
22. Dol A.V., Dol E.S., Ivanov D.V. Biomechanical modeling of options for surgical reconstructive treatment of spinal spondylolisthesis at the L4—L5 level. Russian Journal of Biomechanics. 2018, 22(1): 31—44 (In Russian). https://doi.org/10.15593/RZhBiomeh/2018.1.00
23. Dol A.V., Ivanov D.V., Kazhanov I.V., Kirillova I.V., Kossovich L.Yu., Mikityuk S.I., Petrov A.V. Biomechanical modeling of options for surgical reconstructive treatment of unilateral sacral fractures. Russian Journal of Biomechanics. 2019, 23(4): 537—548 (In Russian). https://doi.org/10.15593/RZhBiomeh/2019.4.04
24. Siva L., Krishna R., Karthik B., Rajan R., Bindu H., Reddy P.R. Finite element analysis of a fractured mandible fixed with micro plates. International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology. 2017, 9(07): 784—795.
25. Ivanov D., Barabash Y., Barabash A. A numerical comparative analysis of ChM and Fixion nails for diaphyseal femur fractures. Acta Bioeng Biomech. 2016, 18(3): 73—81.