Photodynamic therapy in the treatment of periodontal diseases
Samusenkov V.O.1, Tsarev V.N.2, Ippolitov E.V.2, Yumashev A.V.1, Yudin I.A.1
1I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University, Russia, 119048, Moscow, Trubetskaya St., 8, bld. 2
2 Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Education “A.I. Yevdokimov Moscow State University of Medicine and Dentistry” of the Ministry of Healthcare of the Russian Federation
127473 , Russia , Moscow, Delegatskaya st., 20, bld.1
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The article presents an overview of the use of photodynamic therapy in modern dentistry based on the literature sources. Various types of photosensitizers are presented, the action of which has a good effect on the course of the process in periodontal pockets.
The conclusion is made about the vantages of using this method in the treatment of inflammatory periodontal diseases, as well as the effect of photodynamic therapy on the periodontal microbiota, which has a positive effect on the treatment of patients.
Keywords: photodynamic therapy, periodontitis, photosensitizers.
For citation: Samusenkov V.O., Tsarev V.N., Ippolitov E.V., Yumashev A.V., Yudin I.A. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2020, no.4(93): 12-14 (In Russian). doi: 10.35556/idr-2020-4(93)12-14
1. Arutyunov S.D., Tsarev V.N., Ippolitov E.V. et al. Biofilm Formation on temporary dentures: correlation of primary microbial adhesion, coagulation and colonization processes. Dentistry. 2012, no.5(91): 5—10 (In Russian).
2. Dyatlov I.A. Actual problems of medical Microbiology. Journal of Microbiology, epidemiology and Immunobiology. 2013, no.1: 88—93 (in Russian).
3. Krechina E.K., Efremova N.V. et al. Effectiveness of photodynamic therapy in the complex treatment of inflammatory periodontal diseases. Clinical dentistry. 2016, no.2: 34—37 (in Russian).
4. Loktionov A. L. et al. Immune and oxidant disorders in the pathogenesis of inflammatory periodontal diseases. Immunology. 2015, no.5: 319—328 (in Russian).
5. Tsarev V.N. Microbiology, Virology and immunology of the oral cavity. Moscow: GEOTAR-Media, 2013, 576 p. (in Russian).
6. Yanushevich O.O., Kuzmina E.M. Modern approaches to determining the population’s need for dental care: educational and methodological guide for doctors. postgraduate degree. education. Moscow: Moscow state University of medicine, 2010, 84 p. (in Russian).
7. Albandar J.M. Aggressive and acute periodontal diseases. Periodontol. 2000. 2014, Т.65, no.1: 7—12. https://doi.org/10.1111/prd.12013
8. AlJehani Y.A. Risk Factors of Periodontal Disease: Review of the Literature. Int J Dent. 2014., Berezow A.B., Darveau R.P. Microbial shift and periodontitis. Periodontol. 2000, 2011, Т.55. no.1: 36—47. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.2010.00350.x
9. Andjelkovic M. et al. Does the Prevalence of Periodontal Pathogens Change in Elderly Edentulous Patients after Complete Denture Treatment? J. Prosthodont. 2017, Т. 26, no.5: 364—369. https://doi.org/10.1111/jopr.12402
10. Bansal M., Mittal N., Singh T. Assessment of the prevalence of periodontal diseases and treatment needs: A hospital-based study. J. Indian Soc. Periodontol. 2015, Т.19, no.2: 211.
11. Chilakamarthi U., Giribabu L. Photodynamic Therapy: Past, Present and Future. Chem. Rec. 2017, Т.17, no.8: 775—802. https://doi.org/10.1002/tcr.201600121
12. Giannelli M. et al. Combined photoablative and photodynamic diode laser therapy as an adjunct to non-surgical periodontal treatment: a randomized splitmouth clinical trial. J. Clin. Periodontol. 2012, Т.39. no.10: 962—970. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051x.2012.01925.x
13. Kassebaum N.J. et al. Global burden of severe periodontitis in 1990—2010: a systematic review and meta-regression. J. Dent. Res. 2014, Т.93, no.11: 1045—1053. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034514552491
14. Konig J., Holtfreter B., Kocher T. Periodontal health in Europe: future trends based on treatment needs and the provision of periodontal services — position paper 1. Eur. J. Dent. Educ. 2010, Т.14: 4—24.
15. Lulic M., Leiggener GorogI. et al. One-year outcomes of repeated adjunctive photodynamic therapy during periodontal maintenance: a proof-of-principle randomized-controlled clinical trial. J Clin Periodontol. 2009. Т.36, no.8: 661—666. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2009.01432.x
16. Mielczarek-Badora E., Szulc M. Photodynamic therapy and its role in periodontitis treatment. Postepy Hig. Med. Dosw. (Online). 2013, Т.67: 1058—1065. DOI: 10.5604/17322693.1075915
17. Nagahara A. et al. Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy using a diode laser with a potential new photosensitizer, indocyanine green-loaded nanospheres, may be effective for the clearance of Porphyromonas gingivalis. J. Periodontal Res. 2013, Т.48. no.5: 591—599. https://doi.org/10.1111/jre.12042
18. Nazir M.A. Prevalence of periodontal disease, its association with systemic diseases and prevention. Int. J. Health Sci. (Qassim). 2017, Т.11, no.2: 72—80.
19. Teles F.R. et al. Comparison of microbial changes in early redeveloping biofilms on natural teeth and dentures. J. Periodontol. 2012, Т.83, no.9: 1139—1148.