Structural and functional changes in the nasal and upper lip zone of adult patients with congenital cleft lip and palette and their quality of life after the treatment in an early age
Kovalenko K.Yu., Semyonov M.G.
The authors suggest a system of criteria for as-sessing residual and secondary deformities of the nose, upper lip and oral cavity of adult patients with a cleft lip and palate after surgical treatment in childhood.
The results of a survey in a group of such patients using the proposed system, as well as the results of studying the level of their quality of life using the SF-36 questionnaire, the “Subjective control level” question-naire and interviewing are presented.
Recommendations for further treatment tactics are given.
Keywords: residual and secondary deformations, cleft lip and palate, assessment system, medical reha-bilitation, follow up, quality of life.
For citation: Kovalenko K.Yu., Semyonov M.G. Structural and functional changes in the nasal and up-per lip zone of adult patients with cleft lip and palate and their quality of life after the treatment in an early age. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2019; 2 (87): 42—46.DOI: 10.35556/idr-2019-2(87)42-46.
1. Gonchakov G.V., Gonchakova S.G. Surgical treatment of children with congenital unilateral cleft lip. Head and Neck. Russian edition. The journal of the All-Russian public organization “Federation of Specialists in the Treatment of Head and Neck Diseases”. 2015; (1): 27—30. (in Russian).
2. Davydov B.N., Bessonov S.N., Treatment of con-genital bilateral cleft lip. Dentistry. 2013; (2): 60—62. (in Russian).
3. Topolnicky O.Z., Fedotov R.N., Klinovskaya A.S., Analysis of the treatment quality in patientswith a com-plete cleft of the upper lip, alveolar process, hard and soft palate. Russian dentistry. 2013; (1): p. 34—37. (in Russian).
4. Kryklyas V.G., Dmitrieva N.B., Kryklyas Ye.V., The clinical features of the residual nasal deformities in patients with unilateral cleft of the upper lip and soft pal-ate. Bulletin of dentistry. 2012; (1): p. 42—43. (in Rus-sian).
5. Mushkovskaya S.S., Kulikov A.V. Residual de-formities of the face associated with congenital cleft lip and palate and methods for their correction // Annals of plastic, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery. — 2004. — № 4. — p. 116. (in Russian).
6. Novik A.A., Guideline to the study of the quality of life in medicine // А.А. Novik, T.A. Ionov. — Saint Pe-tersbutg: Publishing House “Neva”, 2016. — 320 p. (in Russian).
7. Semenov M.G., Vinokur V.A., Kovalenko K.Y. The quality of life of adult patients with congenital cleft lip and palate after medical rehabilitation // Institute for Den-tistry. — 2017. — № 4. — p. 44—45. (in Russian).
8. Semenov M.G., Mushkovskaya S.S., Kovalenko K.Yu. The evaluation of the residual and secondary de-formation of midface area in patients with unilateral cleft lip. Pediatric traumatology, orthopaedics and reconstruc-tive surgery. 2018; (3): 56—62. (in Russian).
9. Surkin A.Yu. A program for the assessment of treatment results in children with congenital upper lip and palate cleft during rehabilitation: PhD thesis in med-ical science. — M., 2006. — 156 p. (in Russian).
10. Tsyplakova M.S., Stepanova Yu.V., Ponomareva Ye.A., Postoperative deformities in the treatment of con-genital cleft lip and ways to prevent them // Topical is-sues of craniofacial surgery and neuropathology: Pro-ceedings of the VI International Symposium. — 2008. — p. 170 (in Russian).
11. Michailа, V. General Population Norms for Roma-niausing the Short Form 36 Health Survey (SF-36) / V. Michaila, D. Enachescu, C. Davila, M. Badulescu // QL News Letter. 2001. — Vol. 26. — P. 17—18.
12. Sevenhuysen G.P. A new prospective on quality of life / G.P. Sevenhuysen, J. Truble-Waddell // J. Clin. Epidemioll — 1997. — Vol. 50. — P. 231—232.