here is the English version
Medical mistakes in the dental practice: a view from the inside
Vasilyeva E.Y., Gorbatova L.N., Tomilova M.I.
Northern State Medical University
Russia, 163000, Arkhangelskaya oblast’, Arkhangelsk, Prospekt Troitskiy, 51
E-mail addreess: email@example.com
The purpose of the study was revealing the subjective opinion of doctors of various dental medical specialties about the experience of making medical mistakes.
Methods: a single semi-structured interview method, qualitative deductive content analysis of the content of recorded interviews for encoding and categorizing text units using the OpenCode 4.02 program.
Results: it was found that all respondents associated the concept of “medical mistake” with incorrect actions or inaction of the doctor, which led to negative consequences in the treatment of the patient. Thirty percent of respondents admitted to making manipulative and diagnostic mistakes in their dental practice. Analysis and ranking of factors indicated by dentists to commit a medical mistake showed that these are 1) objective factors of a subjective nature related to the personal characteristics of the doctor: insufficient knowledge and lack of experience, fatigue, arrogance; 2) objective factors related to the shortcomings of the organization of dental care in a medical institution; 3) objective factors of a subjective nature related to individual characteristics of patients.
Conclusions: Continuous improvement of the training system for future dentists, residents, and doctors based on modern achievements in the field of dentistry, as well as the widespread use of simulation technologies for practicing manipulative skills, and the introduction of the “standardized patient” method for developing communication skills in order to effectively interact with patients are preventive measures aimed at preventing medical mistakes in dental practice. Awareness of the factors of medical mistakes and their analysis at the personal level will minimize their number and, consequently, improve the quality of dental care provided to the population.
Keywords: medical error, dental practice, dentist, patient, factors, interview.
For citation: Vasilyeva E.Y., Gorbatova L.N., Tomilova M.I. Medical mistakes in the dental practice: a view from the inside. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2020; no.3(92):36-41 (In Russian). doi: 10.35556/idr-2020-3(92)36-41
1. Abolmasov N.G., Abolmasov N.N., Bychkov V.A., Al-Hakim A. Orthopedic Dentistry: A Manual for Doctors, Stud. universities and honey. Schools. Moscow, MED press-inform Publ., 2002, 576 p. (In Russian).
2. Averyanov A.I. Medical errors in dentistry. The causes and methods of legal protection.Modern problems of science and education: materials of the X International Student Scientific Conference. 2018: 93—95. (In Russian).
3. Bagmet A.M. There can be no mediine without complications?! Actual problems of medicine and biology. 2018, 2: 6—10 (In Russian).
4. Gusarov A.A., Popova T.G., Fetisov V.A., Kuraeva E.Yu., Shonia E.A. Clinical expert assessment of the adverse effects of dental implant care. Forensic medical examination. 2017, 3: 34—38 (In Russian).
5. Zykeeva S.K., Urgenishbaeva J.R. Errors and complications in the diagnosis and treatment of dental diseases in children. Bulletin of the Kazakh National Medical University. 2016, 3: 91—96 (In Russian).
6. Konanykhina A.K., Komarov G.A., Kochubey A.V. The right to make mistakes: medical errors through the eyes of doctors and patients. Clinical practice. 2018, Vol 3, 9: 70—73 (In Russian).
7. Lesnichenko A.M. Medical error. Questions of science and education. 2018, 13 (25): 66—78 (In Russian).
8. International classification of diseases of the tenth revision of ICD-10 (adopted by the 43rd World Health Assembly) Available at: https://base.garant.ru/4100000/ (accessed 12.04.20).
9. Rozhdestvenskaya T.A., Lysenko O.V., Prusakova O.I. The problem of medical errors in medical deontology. Health — the basis of human potential: problems and solutions. 2016, Vol. 11, 2: 490—491 (In Russian).
10. Rybakov A.I. Errors and complications in therapeutic dentistry. Moscow, Medicine Publ., 1976, 352 p.
11. Rybakov A.I. Errors in outpatient practice. Moscow, Medicine Publ., 1976, 256 p. (In Russian).
12. Styazhkina S.N., Shanina I.S., Merzlyakova D.A. Medical errors in medical practice. Synergy of Sciences. 2018, 23: 967—972. (In Russian).
13. Churikova A.S. Accident, medical error, professional crime in dentistry. International Student Scientific Herald. 2016, 2: 58.
14. Enihomo M. Obadan, Rachel B. Ramoni, Elsbeth Kalenderian Lessons learnt from Dental Patient Safety Case Reports. J Am Dent Assoc. Author manuscript. 2015,146(5): 318—326.
15. Richard Nagelberg Medical Errors in Dentistry/ A Peer-Reviewed Publication Available at: https://dentalacademyofce.com/courses/2863/PDF/1509cei_Negalberg_web.pdf.
16. Solmaz Araghi, Rohollah Sharifi, Goran Ahmadi, Mahsa Esfehani, Fatemeh Rezaei The Study of Prescribing Errors Among General Dentists. Glob J Health Sci. 2016, 8(4): 32—43.