Study of the clinical complex efficacy of natural cytokines and antimicrobial peptides in the treatment of patients with inflammatory periodontal diseases
Grudyanov A.I.1, http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3818-9307, Fomenko E.V.1, http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4747-8039, Kalyuzhin O.V.2, http://orcid.org/0000-0003-3628-2436, Berkutova I.S.1, http://orcid.org/0000-0002-9090-9917
1 National Medical Research center of dentistry and maxillofacial surgery of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation
Russia, 119021, Moscow, Timura Frunze St., 16
2 Department of Clinical Immunology and Allergology of the I. M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation (Sechenov University)
Russia, 119048, Russia, Moscow, Trubetskaya St., 8, bld. 2
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The aim of the work was to determine the anti-inflammatory effectiveness of the use of a complex of natural cytokines and antimicrobial peptides (Superlimf) in the treatment of patients with mild chronic generalized periodontitis.
Materials and methods: 60 patients were randomized into 2 equal groups. Patients of both groups were removed dental deposits using the Piezon-Master-400 ultrasound machine and the surfaces of the roots of the teeth were polished using periodontal bores (SRP — Scaling, Root Planning), taught the rules of oral hygiene with subsequent three-time control. Resorbable plates of the Superlimf preparation were additionally applied to the gum in the patients of the main group. To assess the intensity of inflammation in periodontal tissues, the clinical indices of Muhlemann and PMA were used.
Results: The dynamics of the clinical indices of Mulleman and PMA before treatment, 7 days later and 21 days after treatment showed a statistically significant more pronounced anti-inflammatory effect in patients in the main group who were treated with Superlimf in addition to SPR.
Conclusions: Local use of the drug Superlimf in combination with SRP increases the effect of anti-inflammatory treatment of patients with mild chronic generalized periodontitis.
Keywords: periodontitis, cytokines, immunomodulator.
For citation: Grudyanov A.I., Fomenko E.V., Kalyuzhin O.V., , Berkutova I.S. Study of the clinical complex efficacy of natural cytokines and antimicrobial peptides in the treatment of patients with inflammatory periodontal diseases. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2021, no.4(97): 16-20 (In Russian). doi: 10.35556/idr-2021-4(97)16-20
1. Grudyanov A.I. Periodontal diseases. Moscow, 2009, 328 p. (In Russian).
2. Grudyanov A.I., Fomenko E.V., Kalyuzhin O.V. Clinical efficacy of an immunomodulatory drug based on the composition of muramyl peptides in the treatment of patients with chronic generalized periodontitis. Dentistry. 2020, 99(6): 24—27. doi: 10.17116/stomat20209906124 (In Russian)
3. Zorina O.A., Gankovskaya L.V., Balykin R.A., Ivanyushko T.P., Svitich O.A., Grechenko V.V. Positive effect of the use of autologous immuno-peptides in the surgical treatment of inflammatory and destructive periodontal lesions. Russian Dental Journal. 2017, 21(1): 4—7. doi: https://doi.org/10.18821/1728-2802201721 (1):4-7 (In Russian)
4. Koreeva N.V., Dobrokhotova Yu.E. Local cytokine therapy in gynecological practice (literature review). Problems of reproduction. 2013, 19(4): 21—26 (In Russian).
5. Ganz T. Defensins: antimicrobial peptides of innate immunity. Nat Rev. Immunol. 2003, 3: 710—720.
6. Selsted M.E., Ouellette A.J. Mammalian defensins in the antimicrobial immune response. Nat Immunol. 2015, 6: 551—557. doi: 10,1038 / ni1206.
7. Akhmedov G.D., Tsareva T.V. Antioxidant therapy of infectious and inflammatory complications of surgical interventions in the oral cavity. Stomatology. 2012, 91(4): 36—37 (In Russian).
8. Kovalchuk L.V., Gvozdeva Yu.V., Chernousova L.N., Gankovskaya L.V., Smirnova T.G., Larionova E.E., Sokolova E.V., Levchenko V.A. Antimicobacterial effects of a complex of natural cytokines and antimicrobial peptides on in vitro and ex vivo models. Russian Immunological Journal. 2012, 6(15), no.2: 184—193 (In Russian).
9. Chang E.H., Giaquinto P., Huang J., Balashova N.V., Brown A.C. Epigallocatechin gallate inhibits leukotoxin release by Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans by promoting association with the bacterial membrane. Mol Oral Microbiol. 2019, Dec 9. doi: 10.1111/omi.12275.
10. Pustovalova R.A., Petrova M.B. Immunocorrecting effect of the drug “Superlimf” on wound healing. Morphology. 2008, 133, no.2: 110 (In Russian).
11. Kovalchuk L.V., Gankovskaya L.V., Yarygin N.V., Yarema V.I., Doctors A.A., Dolgina E.N., Chadaev A.P., Alikhanov H.A. “Superlimf” in the complex treatment of complicated wound process. Immunopathology, allergology, infectology. 2005, no.2: 33—43 (In Russian).