Possibilities of crystallographic study of the oral cavity liquid in diagnostic of diseases of salivary glands
Yaremenko A.I., https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7700-7724, Matina V.N., https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0872-1414, Vladimirova L.G., https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5390-2070, Kutukova S.I., http://orcid.org/0000-0003-2221-4088, Alenkina M.G., https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3561-673X, Danilova U.A., https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5094-4232
Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Education “Academician I.P. Pavlov First St. Petersburg State Medical University” of the Ministry of Healthcare of Russian Federation
Address: Russia, 197022, St. Petersburg, L’va Tolstogo St., 6—8
Е-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Relevance. Despite existing research methods, diagnosis of salivary gland diseases is difficult, so the appearance of new diagnostic methods is relevant. It is known that there is a correlation between the composition of saliva and blood serum; therefore, a crystallographic study of oral fluid is used to be markers of various diseases. By the method of wedge-shaped dehydration in blood serum specific markers of predisposition to tumor greeting were identified. The aim of this study was to determine the diagnostic value of studies of oral fluid by the method of wedge-shaped dehydration in diseases of the salivary glands. Markers of inflammatory diseases of the salivary glands, as well as markers of tumor growth (spherulitis) on salivary gland adenomas were determined.
Materials and methods. A study of 39 patients was carried out, among them 17 people with chronic sialadenitis of the submandibular salivary gland, 9 with chronic parotitis, 7 with Sjogren’s syndrome, 6 with adenomas. The control group was 14 people. The dried film (facies) was analyzed with a medical microscope MIKMED 5 in transmitted light, with a device for observing optical anisotropy of objects and a ToupCam digital camera with subsequent video recording.
Results. In chronic inflammatory diseases of the salivary glands, the following markers were identified: a weak severity of dendrites in a drop, the presence of an intoxication zone, the presence of yeast species of the genus Candida. With Sjogren’s syndrome, the appearance of arcade and horizontal cracks in the marginal zone was noted. With adenomas of the parotid salivary glands, tumor growth markers (spherulitis) were detected, which were not detected in other diseases of the salivary glands.
Conclusion. Crystallographic examination of the oral fluid is an informative way to diagnose diseases of salivary glands, and can be used to conduct differential diagnosis of the nature of tumor growth in case of lesions of salivary glands.
Keywords. Diseases of salivary glands, oral cavity liquid, wedge-shaped dehydration, markers of inflammation, markers of tumor growth, spherulitis.
For citation: Yaremenko A.I., Matina V.N., Vladimirova L.G., Kutukova. S.I., Alenkina M.G., Danilova U.A. Possibilities of crystallographic study of the oral cavity liquid in diagnostic of diseases of salivary glands. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2021, no.4(97): 54-58 (In Russian). doi: 10.35556/idr-2021-4(97)54-58
1. Feofilova M.A., Tomareva E.I., Evdokimova D.V. The possibilities of crystallographic methods for the human pathology research (literature review). Journal of New Medical Technologies. 2017, 4: 198—208 (In Russian). doi: 10.12737/article_5a38fe230d2052.82834857
2. Iijima M., Hashimoto M. Crystal growth on bioactive glass sputter-coated alumina in artificial saliva. Dent. mater. 2013,. 32(5): 775—780. doi: 10.4012/dmj.2013-120
3. Lobeyko V.V., Iordanishvili A.K., Malyshev M.E. Markers of saliva secretory immunity of persons of different age, lives in St. Petersburg and Leningrad region. Kuban Scientific Medical Bulletin. 2015, 1: 74—79 (In Russian). https://doi.org/10.25207/1608-6228-2015-1-74-79
4. Lobeyko V.V., Ryzhak G.A., Dyakonov M.M., Iordanishvili A.K. Treatment of reactive and distrofisesky diseases of sialadens at people of advanced and senile age. Kuban Scientific Medical Bulletin. 2015, 1: 69—74 (In Russian). https://doi.org/10.25207/1608-6228-2015-1-69-74
5. Generosi A., Rau J.V., Rossi Albertini V., Paci B. Crystallization process of carbonate substituted hydroxyapatite nanoparticles in toothpastes upon physiological conditions: an in situ time-resolved X-ray diffraction study. J Mater. sci. mater. med. 2010, Feb., 21(2): 445—450. doi: 10.1007/s10856-009-3905-z
6. Lobeyko V.V., Iordanishvili A.K., Pereverzev V.S. The characteristic of microcrystallization of the saliva at the adults having diseases of sialadens. Kuban Scientific Medical Bulletin. 2016, (4): 71—75 (In Russian). https://doi.org/10.25207/1608-6228-2016-4-71-75
7. Ziegler A., Jonason A., Simon J., Leffell D., Brash D.E. Tumor suppressor gene mutations and photocarcinogenesis. Photochem Photobiol. 1996, Apr, 63(4): 432—435. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-1097.1996.tb03064.x.
8. Hunter T. Oncoprotein networks. Cell, 1997, Vol.88: 1475—1482. doi: 10.1016/s0092-8674(00)81872-3