The effect of smoking on periodontal tissues
Kostrigina E.D.1, Тarasenko K.I.2, Shinkina Ya.S.1, Mitryahina E.A.1, Banketova O.S.1, Yangulov T.F.1
1 Medical Institute of Penza State University, Russia, Penza, 440026, Russia, Penza, Lermontov St, 3-10
2 Penza Institute for Advanced Medical Studies, Russia, Penza, 440060, Russia, Penza, Stasova St, 8A
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
This article is a review of the work of domestic and foreign authors on the effect of smoking on periodontal tissues, the mechanism of action of nicotine on the microvasculature, hygiene and soft tissues of the oral cavity. A modern diagnostic method using the Florida Probe computer system is considered. A treatment plan is proposed for patients with inflammatory periodontal diseases, the etiological factor of which is exposure to nicotine.
Keywords: periodontium, smoking, treatment plan.
For citation: Kostrigina E.D., Тarasenko K.I., Shinkina Ya.S., Mitryahina E.A.,Banketova O.S., Yangulov T.F. The effect of smoking on periodontal tissue. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2020, no.2(91); 30-34 (In Russian). doi: 10.35556/idr-2020-2(91)30-34
1. Gorbunov N.V., Polunina O.S., Serdyukov A.G., Voronina L.P. Analysis of iontophoretic samples in the assessment of microvascular reactivity in smoking medical students. Astrakhan Medical Journal.- 2012, no.3: 60—63 (In Russian).
2. Apsova F.A., Meramova E.A. Surgical treatment of periodontal diseases accompanied by destructive changes in bone tissue. Bulletin of medical Internet conferences. 2017, no.10: 1548—1553 (In Russian).
3. Soldatova Yu.O., Bulgakova A.I., Gantseva H.H., Khismatullina F.R. The relationship of the state of the oral mucosa with the amount of carbon monoxide released in exhaled air in tobacco-dependent patients. Medical Bulletin of Bashkortostan. 2016, no.2: 40—43 (In Russian).
4. Voronina L.P., Polunina O.S., Sevostyanova I.V. et al. The relationship of smoking and microcirculatory disorders in medical students. Astrakhan Medical Journal. 2014, no.2: 35—40 (In Russian).
5. Golub A.A., Chemikosova T.S., Gulyaev O.A. Assessment of microcirculation in periodontal tissues in students, depending on smoking and the presence of somatic pathology. Medical Bulletin of Bashkortostan. 2010, no.1: 51—54 (In Russian).
6. Zykeeva S.K., Urgenishbaeva J.R. Prevention and treatment of periodontal diseases in children and adolescents. Bulletin of the Kazakh National Medical University, 2016, no.3: 97—100 (In Russian).
7. Orekhova L.Yu., Kosova L.Yu., Petrov A.A., Kosov S. Change in the microcirculation of periodontal tissues in young people under the influence of smoking. Periodontology. 2018, no.23: 15—18 (In Russian). https://doi.org/10.25636/PMP.1.2018.1.3
8. Iskakova M.K., Murodova N.M. Comparative evaluation of the treatment of inflammatory periodontal diseases in young people Bulletin of the Kazakh National Medical University. 2016, no.4: 149—155 (In Russian).
9. Zolotukhina E.L., Kravchenko L.S., Goncharenko O.V. et al. Clinical results of the use of a new local method of treatment and prevention of inflammatory diseases of the oral mucosa and periodontium in smokers. Ukrainian Dental Almanac. 2017, no 4: 14—19 (In Russian).
10. Kochieva I.V., Mkrtchyan S.N., Khetagurov S.K. The effect of smoking on microcirculation in periodontal tissues. Medical and pharmaceutical journal “Pulse”. 2015, no.1: 57—58 (In Russian).
11. Kruglova N.V., Lukinykh L.M. The experience of using the Florida Probe computer system for the diagnosis of inflammatory periodontal diseases. Modern technologies in medicine. 2012, no.40: 121—124 (In Russian).
12. Kulygina V.N., Mohammad M.A., Kozlova L.L. The results of a study of the prevalence and structure of periodontal diseases in young people. Ukrainian Dental Almanac. 2013, no.5: 29—31 (In Russian).
13. Mamedov F.Yu., Safarov D.A., Aleskerova S.M. Pathogenetic aspects of the effect of smoking on the state of organs and tissues of the oral cavity. News of problems of biology and medicine. 2017, no.2: 367—372 (In Russian).
14. Miklyaev S.V., Leonova O.M., Suschenko A.V. Analysis of the prevalence of chronic inflammatory diseases of periodontal tissues. Modern problems of science and education. 2018, no.2 (In Russian). URL: http://science-education.ru/en/article/view?id=27454
15. Petrenko K.A. The effectiveness of the use of the Florida Probe computer system in the diagnosis of inflammatory periodontal diseases. International Journal of Humanities and Natural Sciences. 2018, no.5: 24—29 (In Russian).
16. Gadzhieva P.Kh., Dikareva L.V., Polunina O.S. et al. The use of laser Doppler flowmetry to assess the state of microcirculation of the fetoplacental complex on the background of smoking. Astrakhan Medical Journal. 2016, no.1: 81—89 (In Russian).
17. Safrov D.A. The condition of organs and tissues of the oral cavity on the background of smoking. European research. 2017, no.5: 87—89 (In Russian).
18. Ponomareva N.A., Guskova A.A., Mitina E.N., Grishin M.I. Modern methods of treatment of inflammatory periodontal diseases. Medical and pharmaceutical magazine “Pulse”. 2017, no.10: 123—125 (In Russian).
19. Sukhorukov M.A., Bryzhakhina Zh.D. The relationship of smoking and pathology of the oral cavity and dentofacial system in eastern Kazakhstan. Science and healthcare. 2015, no.3: 80—88 (In Russian).
20. Ulitovsky S.B., Galibin O.V., Thomson V.V. The use of surgical techniques in the treatment of inflammatory periodontal diseases. Scientific notes of St. Petersburg State Medical University I.P. Pavlova. 2014, no.1: 71—74 (In Russian).
21. Usova N.F. Inflammatory periodontal diseases: pathogenesis, principles of complex treatment. Siberian Medical Journal (Irkutsk). 2013, no.1: 141—144 (In Russian).
22. Zhang Lei, Grinin V.M., Tsarev V.N. Clinical and microbiological aspects of dental health in tobacco smokers. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2012, no.2(59), 20—22 (In Russian).
23. Zhang L., Grinin V.M., Tsarev V.N. A multivariate analysis of determining the level of dental health in tobacco smokers. Russian Dental Journal. 2012, no.3: 41—44 (In Russian).
24. Yudina N.A. Periodontal diseases: clinical laboratory diagnostics. Modern dentistry. 2016, no.1: 6—10 (In Russian).
25. Soldatova Yu.O., Bulgakova A.I., Gantseva H.Kh., Khismatullina F.R. Diagnosis of the effects of smoking and the content of CO in expired air on the dental health of patients. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2016, no.2(75): 32—35 (In Russian).
26. Yurkevich V.Yu. Dental health problems in smokers at a young age. Health is the basis of human potential: problems and solutions. 2013, no.1: 108—115 (In Russian).
27. Yavnaya I.K. The effect of tobacco smoking on the microvasculature in practically healthy young people. Far Eastern Medical Journal. 2012, no.4: 9—11 (In Russian).
28. Mokeem S.A., Alasqah M.N., Michelogiannakis D. et al. Clinical and radiographic periodontal status and whole salivary cotinine, IL-1β and IL-6 levels in cigarette- and waterpipe-smokers and E-cig users. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2018, №61: 38—43. doi: 10.1016/j.etap.2018.05.016.
29. Guruprasad C., A. Pradeep Influence of Smoking on Interleukin-34 Levels in Gingival Crevicular Fluid and Plasma in Periodontal Health and Disease: A Clinico-biochemical Study. Bull Tokyo Dent Coll. 2018, №59: 247—255. doi: 10.2209/tdcpublication.2017-0051.
30. Holliday R.S., Campbell J., Preshaw P.M. Effect of nicotine on human gingival, periodontal ligament and oral epithelial cells. A systematic review of the literature. J Dent. 2019, №86: 81—88. doi: 10.1016/j.jdent.2019.05.030
31. Lallier T.E., Moylan J.T., Maturin E. Greater Sensitivity of Oral Fibroblasts to Smoked Versus Smokeless Tobacco. J Periodontol. 2017, №88: 1356—1365. doi: 10.1902/jop.2017.170232.
32. Kanmaz B., Lamont G., Danaci G. et al. Microbiological and biochemical findings in relation to clinical periodontal status in active smokers, non-smokers and passive smokers. Tob Induc Dis. 2019, №21. doi: 10.18332/tid/104492.