Comparative characteristics of provisional crowns made by CAD/CAM milling and 3D printing
Stomatov A.V.2, Stomatov D.V.1, Ivanov P.V.1, Marchenko V.V.1, Piitsky E.V.1, Umarataev S.U.1
1 Medical Institute of Penza State University, 440026, Russia, Penza, Lermontov St, 3-10
2 Volgograd State Medical University, 400131, Russia, Volgograd, Pavshikh Bortsov Sq. 1
E-mail address: email@example.com
In this work authors made a research about the main techniques of digital dentistry — CAD/CAM and 3D printing, which being actively used worldwide, including Russia, in the area of orthopedic dentistry.
This article is about comparison of 3D printing and CAD/CAM characteristics like: durability, aesthetic, accuracy of finished models and other aspects of manufacturing.
Keywords: digital dentistry, prosthetics, orthopedics, CAD/CAM, 3D printing, milling, photopolymers, PMMA.
For citation: Stomatov A.V., Stomatov D.V., Ivanov P.V., Marchenko V.V., Piitsky E.V., Umarataev S.U. Comparative characteristics of provisional crowns made by CAD/CAM milling and 3D printing. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2020, no.2(91); 45-49 (In Russian). doi: 10.35556/idr-2020-2(91)45-49
1. Grigorieva I.P., Gruzkova E.V., Grigorieva E.V. Modern information systems in dentistry. Collection of scientific papers of young scientists and specialists. Cheboksary, 2017: 196—201 (In Russian).
2. Nazarova N.Yu., Alekseeva Yu.A., Babaeva A.A. The role of information technology in medicine. Scientific achievements and discoveries 2018: collection of articles of the IV Intern. scientific-practical competition. Penza, 2018: 224—228 (In Russian).
3. Ryakhovsky A.N., Rassadin M.A., Levitsky V.V., Yumashev A.V., Karapetyan A.A., Muradov M.A. An objective technique for assessing changes in the topography of oral objects. Panorama of Orthopedic Dentistry. 2006, no.1: 8—10 (In Russian).
4. Ryakhovsky A.N., Zheltov S.Yu., Knyaz V.A., Yumashev A.V. Hardware-software complex for obtaining 3D-models of teeth. Dentistry. 2000, T.79, no.3: 41—45 (In Russian).
5. Yumashev A.V. [et al.], Options for the use of 3D scanning in prosthetic dentistry. Bulletin of new medical technologies. 2015, no.1: 2—6 (In Russian).
6. Dawood A. et al. 3D printing in dentistry. British Dental Journal. 2015, Vol. 219, no.11: 521—529.
7. Duret F., Preston J.D. CAD/CAM imaging in dentistry. Curr. Opin. Dent. 1991, Vol. 1: 150—154.
8. Grоsser J. et al. Computer-aided fabrication of a zirconia 14-unit removable dental prosthesis. International Journal of Computerized Dentistry. 2014, Vol. 17, no.4: 307—316.
9. Hembree J.H. Jr. Comparisons of fit of CAD/CAM restorations using three imaging sufaces. Quint Int. 1995, Vol. 26 (2): 145—147.
10. Jeong I.D., Lee J.J., Jeon J.H., Kim J.H., Kim H.Y., Kim W.C. Accuracy of complete-arch model using an intraoral video scanner: An in vitro study. J Prosthet Dent. 2016, 115: 755—759.
11. Kasparova M., Grafova L., Dvorak P., Dostalova T., Prochazka A., Eliasova H., Prusa J., Kakawand S. Possibility of reconstruction of dental plaster cast from 3D digital study models. Biomed Eng Online. 2013, 12: 49.
12. Koch G.K., Gallucci G.O., Lee S.J. Accuracy in the digital workflow: From data acquisition to the digitally milled cast. J Prosthet Dent. 2016, 115: 749—754.
13. J. Londono et al. Fabrication of a definitive obturator from a 3D cast with a chairside digital scanner for a patient with severe gag reflex: a clinical report. The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. 2015, Vol. 114; no.5: 735—738.
14. Quaas S, Rudolph H, Luthardt RG. Direct mechanical data acquisition of dental impressions for the manufacturing of CAD/CAM restorations. J Dent. 2007, 35: 903—908.
15. Yau HT, Yang TJ, Lin YK. Comparison of 3-D printing and 5-axis milling for the production of dental emodels from intra-oral scanning. CAD App. 2016, 13: 32—38.