Influence of preheating on the properties of composite filling material. Systematic literature review
Khabadze Z.S., Generalova Yu.A., Negorelova Ya.A., Abdulkerimova S.M.
«Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia» (RUDN University), Moscow, Russia.
Russia, 117198, Moscow, Miklukho-Maklaya st., 6
The article presents a review of the literature (57 sources)
devoted to the influence of preheating on the manipulation, physical, mechanical and aesthetic characteristics of composite filling material. The literature obtained by searching in the databases Google Scholar, PubMed, as well as in the article biographical lists is studied. For improving the physical-mechanical, adaptive and, of course, manipulative properties of the polymer composite, researchers have proposed various protocols that allow us to achieve the best values of the basic properties of the filling material. The method of preheating the composite can positively affect various characteristics of the material, such as manipulative and aesthetic properties, as well as increase the values of microhardness and the final conversion of monomers of the organic matrix of the material. However, it is necessary to remember that in clinical practice it is difficult to reach the desired temperature, since the composite cools down from the moment the syringe is removed from the heating device, so the increments in the values of these properties may be lower than those obtained experimentally.
Keywords: composite material pre-heating, the degree of monomer conversion, the shrinkage stress, adaptation to the cavity walls.
For citation: Khabadze Z.S., Generalova Yu.A., Negorelova Ya.A., Abdulkerimova S.M. Influence of preheating on the properties of composite filling material. Systematic literature review. Stomatology for All / Int. Dental Review. 2021, no.2(95): 24—32 (In Russian). doi: 10.35556/idr-2021-2(95)24-32
1. Ahn K.H. et al. Effect of preheating on the viscoelastic properties of dental composite under different deformation conditions. Dental materials journal. 2015, no.5: 702—706 (In Russian). https://doi.org/10.4012/dmj.2015-042
2. Al-Ahdal K. et al. Polymerization kinetics and impact of post polymerization on the Degree of Conversion of bulk-fill resin-composite at clinically relevant depth. Dental Materials. 2015, no.10: 1207—1213 (In Russian).https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2015.07.004
3. Al Sunbul H., Silikas N., Watts D.C. Polymerization shrinkage kinetics and shrinkage-stress in dental resin-composites. Dental Materials. 2016, no.8: 998—1006 (In Russian).https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2016.05.006
4. Ashok N.G. et al. Factors that influence the color stability of composite restorations. International Journal of Orofacial Biology. 2017, no.1: 1 (In Russian).
5. Ayub K.V. et al. Effect of preheating on microhardness and viscosity of 4 resin composites. J Can Dent Assoc. 2014, no.12: e12.
6. Borges B.C.D. et al. Preheating impact on the colour change of pit-and-fissure sealants after immersion in staining beverages. International Journal of Dental Science and Research. 2015, no.2—3: 64—68 (In Russian).https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdsr.2015.11.002
7. Calheiros F.C. et al. Effect of temperature on composite polymerization stress and degree of conversion. Dental Materials. 2014, no.6: 613—618 (In Russian).https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dental.2014.02.024
8. Chaharom M.E.E. et al. Effect of preheating on the cytotoxicity of bulk-fill composite resins. Journal of Dental Research, Dental Clinics, Dental Prospects. 2020, no.1: 19—25 (In Russian). doi: 10.34172/joddd.2020.003
9. Chittem J., Sajjan G. S., Kanumuri M. V. Spectrophotometric evaluation of colour stability of nano hybrid composite resin in commonly used food colourants in Asian countries. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 2017. no.1: ZC61 (In Russian).DOI : 10.7860/JCDR/2017/22919.9193
10. D’amario M. et al. Effect of repeated preheating cycles on flexural strength of resin composites. Operative dentistry. 2013, no.1: 33—38 (In Russian).https://doi.org/10.2341/11-476-L
11. D’amario M. et al. Influence of a repeated preheating procedure on mechanical properties of three resin composites. Operative Dentistry. 2015, no.2: 181—189 (In Russian).https://doi.org/10.2341/13-238-L
12. Darabi F. et al. The effect of preheating of composite resin on its color stability after immersion in tea and coffee solutions: An in-vitro study. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Dentistry. 2019, no.12: e1151 .https://doi.org/10.4317/jced.56438
13. Deb S. et al. Pre-warming of dental composites. Dental materials. 2011, no.4: e51—e59 (In Russian).
14. Deliperi S., Alleman D. Stress-reducing protocol for direct composite restorations in minimally inasive cavity preparations. Practical Procedures in Aesthetic Dentistry. 2009, Т.21: E1—E6 (In Russian).
15. Didron P.P. et al. Effect of temperatures on polymerization stress and microleakage of class V composite restorations. Open Journal of Composite Materials. 2013, no.4: 107—112 (In Russian).
16. El-Deeb H.A., Abd El-Aziz S., Mobarak E.H. Effect of preheating of low shrinking resin composite on intrapulpal temperature and microtensile bond strength to dentin. Journal of Advanced Research. 2015, no.3: 471—478 (In Russian).
17. Elkaffass A.A. et al. Influence of preheating on mechanical and surface properties of nanofilled resin composites. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Dentistry. 2020, no.5: e494 (In Russian).
18. El-Korashy D.I. Post-gel shrinkage strain and degree of conversion of preheated resin composite cured using different regimens. Operative dentistry. 2010, no.2: 172—179 (In Russian).
19. El-olimy G.A. Effect of pre-heating on hardness, flexural properties and depth of cure of dental two resin composites. Egyptian Dental Journal. 2020, no.3-July: 1731—1739.
20. Eman M.S., Ibrahim L.E., Adel A.K.A. Effect of preheating on microleakage and microhardness of composite resin (an in vitro study). Alexandria Dental Journal. 2016, no.1: 4—11.
21. Erhardt M.C.G. et al. Effect of different composite modulation protocols on the conversion and polymerization stress profile of bulk-filled resin restorations. Dental Materials. 2020: 829—837 (In Russian).
22. Franca, Flavio Alvares, Oliveira, Michele de, Rodrigues, Jose Augusto, & Arrais, Cesar Augusto Galvao. Pre-heated dual-cured resin cements: analysis of the degree of conversion and ultimate tensile strength. Brazilian Oral Research. 2011, no.25(2): 174—179.
23. Froes-Salgado N.R. et al. Composite pre-heating: effects on marginal adaptation, degree of conversion and mechanical properties. Dental materials. 2010, no.9: 908—914 (In Russian).
24. Higgins J.P.T., Altman D.G. Assessing risk of bias in included studies. 2008 (In Russian).
25. Higgins J.P.T. et al. The Cochrane Collaboration’s tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials. Bmj. 2011, Т.343: d5928.
26. Jafarzadeh-Kashi T.S. et al. Effect of preheating on the microhardness of nanohybrid resin-based composites. Frontiers in Biomedical Technologies. 2015, no.1: 15—22 (In Russian).
27. Jongsma L.A., Kleverlaan C.J. Influence of temperature on volumetric shrinkage and contraction stress of dental composites. Dental Materials. 2015, no.6: 721—725 (In Russian).
28. Kahnamouei M.A. et al. Effect of preheat repetition on color stability of methacrylate-and silorane-based composite resins. Journal of dental research, dental clinics, dental prospects. 2017, no.4: 222—228 (In Russian).
29. Karacan A.O., Ozyurt P. Effect of preheated bulkfill composite temperature on intrapulpal temperature increase in vitro. Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry. 2019, no.6: 583—588 (In Russian).
30. Khabadze Z. et al. The Substantiation of the Pre-Polymerization Heating Efficiency of the Dental Nanocomposite Material. Pesquisa Brasileira em Odontopediatria e Clinica Integrada. 2020, Т.20: 30.
31. Kramer M. R., Edelhoff D., Stawarczyk B. Flexural strength of preheated resin composites and bonding properties to glass-ceramic and dentin. Materials. 2016, no.2: 83 (In Russian).
32. Kusai Baroudi S.M. Improving composite resin performance through decreasing its viscosity by different methods. The open dentistry journal. 2015, Т.9: 235 (In Russian).
33. Lempel E. et al. Degree of conversion and BisGMA, TEGDMA, UDMA elution from flowable bulk fill composites. International journal of molecular sciences. 2016, Т.17, no.5: 732 (In Russian).
34. Lempel E. et al. Effect of exposure time and pre-heating on the conversion degree of conventional, bulk-fill, fiber reinforced and polyacid-modified resin composites. Dental Materials. 2019 Т.35, no.2: 217—228 (In Russian).
35. Lucey S. et al. Effect of preheating on the viscosity and microhardness of a resin composite. Journal of oral rehabilitation. 2010, no.4: 278—282 (In Russian).
36. Marovic D. et al. Degree of conversion and microhardness of dental composite resin materials. Journal of molecular structure. 2013, Т.1044: 299—302.
37. Meereis C. T. W. et al. Polymerization shrinkage stress of resin-based dental materials: A systematic review and meta-analyses of technique protocol and photo-activation strategies. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. 2018, no.82: 77—86 (In Russian).
38. Menon A., Ganapathy D.M., Mallikarjuna A.V. Factors that influence the color stability of composite resins. Drug Invention Today. 2019, no.3 (In Russian).
39. Metalwala Z. et al. Rheological properties of contemporary nanohybrid dental resin composites: The influence of preheating. Polymer Testing. 2018, Т.72: 157—163 (In Russian).
40. Mohammadi N. et al. Effect of pre-heating on the mechanical properties of silorane-based and methacrylate-based composites. Journal of clinical and experimental dentistry. 2016, no.4: e373 (In Russian).
41. Moher D. et al. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. Int J Surg. 2010, no.5: 336—341.
42. Mundim F.M. et al. Color stability, opacity and degree of conversion of pre-heated composites. Journal of dentistry. 2011, Т.39: e25—e29 (In Russian).
43. Oskoee P.A. et al. The effect of repeated preheating of dimethacrylate and silorane-based composite resins on marginal gap of class V restorations. Journal of dental research, dental clinics, dental prospects. 2017, no.1: 36 (In Russian).
44. Osternack F. H. et al. Effects of preheating and precooling on the hardness and shrinkage of a composite resin cured with QTH and LED. Operative Dentistry. 2013, №3: E50—E57 (In Russian).
45. Osternack F.H.R. et al. Impact of refrigeration on the surface hardness of hybrid and microfilled composite resins. Brazilian Dental Journal. 2009, no.1: 42—47.
46. Rickman L.J., Padipatvuthikul P., Chee B. Clinical applications of preheated hybrid resin composite. British dental journal. 2011, no.2: 63—67.
47. Rueggeberg F.A. et al. In vivo temperature measurement: tooth preparation and restoration with preheated resin composite. Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry. 2010, no.5: 314—322 (In Russian).
48. Santana I.L. et al. Effects of heat treatment on the microhardness of direct composites at different depths of restoration. Revista Odonto Ciencia. 2012, no.1: 36—40.
49. Septyarini B.E., Dwiandhono I., Imam D.N.A. The different effects of preheating and heat treatment on the surface microhardness of nanohybrid resin composite. Dental Journal (Majalah Kedokteran Gigi). 2020, no.1: 6—9.
50. Sharafeddin F., Motamedi M., Fattah Z. Effect of preheating and precooling on the flexural strength and modulus of elasticity of nanohybrid and silorane-based composite. Journal of Dentistry. 2015, no.3: 224—229 (In Russian).
51. Soares C.J. et al. Polymerization shrinkage stress of composite resins and resin cements–What do we need to know. Brazilian oral research. 2017, Т.31: 62.
52. Sousa S.E.P. et al. Staining resistance of preheated flowable composites to drinking pigmented beverages. Revista Portuguesa De Estomatologia, Medicina Dentaria E Cirurgia Maxilofacial. 2015, no.4: 221—225.
53. Taubock T.T. et al. Pre-heating of high-viscosity bulk-fill resin composites: effects on shrinkage force and monomer conversion. Journal of Dentistry. 2015, no.11: 1358—1364 (In Russian).
54. Uctasli M. B. et al. Effect of preheating on the mechanical properties of resin composite.European Journal of Dentistry. 2008, Т.2: 263.
55. Watts D.C., Alnazzawi A. Temperature-dependent polymerization shrinkage stress kinetics of resin-composites. Dental Materials, 2014, no.6: 654—660 (In Russian).
56. Yang J., Silikas N., Watts D.C. Pre-heating time and exposure duration: Effects on post-irradiation properties of a thermo-viscous resin-composite. Dental Materials. 2020, no.6: 787—793 (In Russian).
57. Yang J.N.C., Raj J.D., Sherlin H. Effects of preheated composite on micro leakage-an in-vitro study. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research: JCDR. 2016, no.6: ZC36.